Solution to bad image quality and resolution when viewed on desktop?

matiasostebo / 2020-09-16 16:45:46   

Images look bad and blurry when viewed on desktop. Is there a solution to this by now? Images look good on mobile.

I love indexhibit, but the compressing of images is not good for a visual presentation of photos and artwork.

My site here: matiasostebo.com

singlecellto / 2020-09-24 17:51:42   

I agree, for a visually oriented portfolio system, this is pretty much a deal breaker.

Unfortunately from what I can gather, the image quality problems originate in using the GD image processing library.

Fixing the problem seems to require changing the image processing library to something else, like ImageMagick for example which would be a huge endevour for the developer.

Has anyone tried anything like this "image sharpening" code (found on the web from 2013)?

"A nice little tip for those people using php's GD library to resize image and finding the images are resized and blurry, you can use this little snippet of code to sharpen up the image, it's much much better

function imagesharpen( $image)
{
$matrix = array(
array(-1, -1, -1),
array(-1, 16, -1),
array(-1, -1, -1),
);
$divisor = array_sum(array_map('array_sum', $matrix));
$offset = 0;
imageconvolution($image, $matrix, $divisor, $offset);
return $image;
}
"

I would if I knew where to put it!

charliehardy / 2020-09-25 09:26:29   

I've been having the same issue as well. Been giving myself some time to read through the forum about similar image quality issues.

I recommend to change/check out:

/ndxzsite/config/options.php. (open options.php through your FTP).

And change the image quality:

// image quality
$default['img_quality'] = 100;
$default['systhumb'] = 150;

You can also change the image upload size.

// images max size kilobytes
// be careful with shared hosting
$default['maxsize'] = 5000;

I am still having image quality issues still, I’ve contacted my web host and double checked incase if uploading to the server somehow compressors the image quality. Heard back and it seems to be looking ok.

It must be getting compressed somewhere when you upload/import the files to the Indexhibit. I’ve noticed once the files are loaded in files/gimgs & files/dimgs that the original files sizes stay the same in /gimgs but the file is duplicated as a rsz file-name and is lower quality/smaller file size. Your website are linked to the /gimgs folder.

Someone else has mentioned in another closed forum about image compassion, they replaced the files after being uploaded.

This way:

"However, I think I found a way around this problem. Try it for yourself to see if it works for you. First create your exhibit and upload your images to your gallery like you normally would with Indexhibit. After you're done, download filesgimps folder. Inside, you'll see all your images that you uploaded and their sizes will have increased and they are compressed. Then simply replace them with the ones that you prepared for web on your computer making sure that the titles are the same. Because Indexhibit adds numbers to the image titles after you upload. And then upload this file back to your server and you should have the images at the file size and quality you wanted them to be. Although this procedure can really be a hassle if you have lots of photo, maybe it is worth giving a try.
Good luck!"

I’m still trying to figure it out for myself, can’t say it has worked… Wondering if there’s a way I could possibly link each direct image after uploading to my Indexhibit. Place the images in that folder linked…

Or… is there a way to solve this with a change of the code?

Would love to hear your thoughts :)

Vaska A / 2020-09-25 10:34:34   

Image sharpening isn't a good solution. It *might* work for you, but it won't for everybody.

The current (released) Horizontal format has issues - I suggest not using it right now. I made a responsive horizontal format that does resolve this to some extent (not released).

It's funny though that it does work well for some people and not others. I've never understood this actually - better images uploaded at larger sizes, perhaps? I'm not much of a fan of this format anymore so I don't pay much attention to it.

Imagick is the future - and I have been testing it for too long. The real problem there is that not all shared hosts offer it, and there are memory problems (also related to retina - which I've also been working on).

Replacing the images trick will work, but if you resize the images then you will have to do it again.

It's alot of work and I don't have help or support. I hope to release these late this year, but I'm not going to promise a date. If people actually donated, things would be different.