New Dock-Style Exhibition Plugin!

WRP / 2011-08-16 11:20:35   

I recently completed an exhibition format plugin for Indexhibit that I want to share with the community. Please check out the project here and feel free to use it on your own site:

http://tboyko.github.com/Dock

In brief: the plugin allows for a thumbnail dock at the bottom of your screen, with a large, auto-scaled image consuming the rest. If you are interested in seeing a working demo, one is available at:

http://www.tylerwilliamparker.com/

Enjoy! Feedback appreciated!

WRP / 2011-08-16 11:21:35   

Looks like links aren't automatically wired up. Here you go:

http://tboyko.github.com/Dock

http://www.tylerwilliamparker.com/

plasticpeter / 2011-08-16 12:31:34   

Wow, thank looks great!
Thanks!

plasticpeter / 2011-08-16 12:31:56   

thank=that

rickykappa / 2011-08-17 01:08:52   

yes, good one! ;-)

abodunrin / 2011-08-21 16:28:36   

Thanks for making this!

I'm tying to use this format but i'm having a bit of trouble. When i set up a page, the images are there, but when i click the thumbnails, it doesn't switch images. Am i doing something wrong?

the problem page

Thanks!

pernin / 2011-08-22 01:02:52   

very nice plugin, thanks! -- although the example site chosen could use a link back to indexhibit somewhere ;)

WRP / 2011-09-06 19:38:36   

abodunrin- I've updated the instructions. I believe the issue came down to the version of jQuery included with indexhibit. Dock requires a newer version unfortunately.

emaalaniz / 2011-09-09 12:20:31   

doesnt work with me, humm
wherever, Thanks

emaalaniz / 2011-09-09 16:46:26   

Now works, was a problem of the jQuery, you need the last one.
Thanks!

adega / 2011-09-10 00:41:03   

Will try it...looks really nice

Thanks!!

WRP / 2011-09-11 15:16:16   

It should still be considered under development, as I know there are some outstanding issues depending upon what sort of layout you are using for the rest of the site. If you do run into issues though, please let me know, as I'd like to get the state of this project close to "production", no matter what the implementation.

Thanks!

jiltko / 2011-09-13 03:51:17   

Looks great. Can you share with us the recommended layout settings for the site. For instance how are you making sections work?

WRP / 2011-09-13 14:08:18   

jiltko-

The site it was created for has a layout that contains a header at the top of the page, with the exhibit view below it. I've tried using the plugin with a left positioned header, and it seems as though it throws the alignment out of whack. This is something that I need to fix.

I'm not sure what you mean by "how are you making sections work?". Could you clarify?

WRP / 2011-09-13 15:56:05   

Update: I've fixed the plugin to work with left positioned navigation headers.

petemansf / 2011-09-28 19:43:11   

Hi WRP, Your plug-in looks really good. I couldn't get it working on my site but look forward to in the future. I got the new jquery but when I clicked on the exhibit it just showed up blank - using Djuve plug-in now but my site is www.peternigelmansfield.com/ Any help welcome. Many thanks! P

collie / 2011-09-29 00:48:00   

Amazing!

I have some feedback however.. one of my personal favourite projects I lost, the only images are 600px wide, the plugin enlarges these making them ugly. Is there a way to limit the images to their max pixels?

Do you know what I mean?

Otherwise I dig. And will use on everything bar my project Lit Up

christophercollie.com

Cheers man!

collie / 2011-09-29 00:50:27   

In addition to that, should I upload full res images for people viewing on super large screens?

What do you upload at WRP?

Thanks!

Tammy / 2011-10-03 07:57:53   

Hello. I love this exhibit style! I am planning on using this right away. I am not great with php- does anyone know how to add a caption or image title to the images with this?

WRP / 2011-10-03 19:03:32   

Collie

Look in the exhibit.dock.php file. You'll see a line at the top that lets you control this behavior. It will look like this:

'scaleImagesBeyondDimensions' => true

Change it to:

'scaleImagesBeyondDimensions' => false

You can upload any size image you want. If you want pictures to appear crisp at large resolutions, upload images at that resolution. I've found that most bowsers downscale images well.

Tammy

The plugin doesn't currently support image captions or image titles, but I hope to add that feature soon!

Petemansf

If you provide the direct URL for a gallery that is using Dock, I can take a look at the problem.

collie / 2011-12-21 16:50:26   

Thank you so much! Will try it out soon.

mgushanasjr / 2012-01-27 16:34:59   

thanks wrt, this works great!

curious if anyone could help me make resize the image dimensions.

I'd like the image to fit to the greater window dimension out of width & height. any overflow would be hidden.

i've been toying around with the php a little and know it can be done in this part of the script:

1. ResizeImage: function() {
  2. TD.jq.image                        .css('visibility', 'hidden')
  3. .css('" . $this->imgSizePre . "height', '100%')                    .css('width', 'auto');
  4. TD.jq.imageContainer                    .css('height', $(window).height()-TD.jq.parentContainer.offset().top+155);    
  5. if (TD.jq.image.width() >= TD.jq.imageContainer.width()) {
  6. TD.jq.image                            .css('height', '100%')                            .css('" . $this->imgSizePre . "width', '100%');                    }                    TD.jq.image.css('visibility', 'visible');
  7. },

i'm new to php tho and don't really know what it's calling.

mgushanasjr / 2012-01-27 16:35:54   

sorry link here

Malthe / 2012-01-28 05:21:13   

What format is used to have the horizontal menu and logo in the left upper site?

Any have a link to that?

Regards Malthe!!

pernin / 2012-01-28 13:39:51   

@Malthe, you should know better by now and have read the forum rules: where's the link to your website? and why are you posting in this thread out of topic? it just confuses things, you could have created your own topic for this...

Edited by Vaska: you can search this forum for 'horizontal theme'

bluebendphoto / 2012-01-28 15:56:24   

No spam.

Edited by Vaska

Malthe / 2012-01-29 10:11:26   

*Pernin, Im sorry if its not clear - I was refering to the thread .. So no not out of topic at all..

The site Im asking about is http://www.tylerwilliamparker.com/ - the one WRP referes to as a demo site..

As far as I can see its a customized version of the horizontal theme right? And just customized to fit with the logo and links (: ?

Malthe / 2012-01-29 10:11:40   

*Pernin, Im sorry if its not clear - I was refering to the thread .. So no not out of topic at all..

The site Im asking about is http://www.tylerwilliamparker.com/ - the one WRP referes to as a demo site..

As far as I can see its a customized version of the horizontal theme right? And just customized to fit with the logo and links (: ?

pernin / 2012-01-29 13:42:28   

sorry about that Malthe, I thought you meant the columner theme, as you say "horizontal menu and logo on the upper left"

this thread is about an exhibition format plugin, not a theme, which is demonstrated in a site with a customization of the centered theme

a theme is about the site structure: basically, where on the screen are the menu and contents, and how they behave in respect to each other. Eatock and Sample are examples of vertical themes, Columner and Centered are examples of horizontal themes

an exhibition format is how the contents (text/images) are displayed once a menu link is activated, and it typically works across different themes, for example you can have a Slideshow or this same docked style exhibition format with each one of the themes mentioned above

mgushanasjr / 2012-02-01 08:36:28   

I've been trying to get it so that the selected image takes up the entire screen. Is there any way I can add the full_background.js that's used in other plugins in indexhibit to get that?

Additionally, I'd like to have the text added back in, but can't quite figure out the code to add it.

my site

mgushanasjr / 2012-02-07 08:12:58   

it's been almost a week since my post and I'm still having issues with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Netsvetaev / 2012-02-23 13:05:36   

I want to add text block to images too. But how?

Netsvetaev / 2012-02-23 13:05:51   

I want to add text block to images too. But how?

turnyourback / 2012-02-23 15:21:39   

this looks great!

turnyourback / 2012-02-23 15:51:13   

for some reason it won't work for me, though :( i've done everything including updating my jquery...strange! i emailed you.

turnyourback / 2012-02-23 18:44:13   

and i was so wrong...for some reason i tried it again a few hours later and it started working! the only thing i'm wondering is: i have a lot of photos per section (maybe like 50) which obviously don't all show at the bottom. is there any way to make the dock scroll? that'd be amazing!

WRP / 2012-02-23 19:40:42   

A scrollable lower dock region (for large photo collections) and captions have been requested multiple times. These would both be great additions. Unfortunately, I've been tied up with work as of late and have not had time to further develop Dock.

The codebase is on GitHub. In the meantime, I strongly encourage anyone with programming abilities to fork the project and make these additions. I am happy to merge them back to the main project for all to use.

Thanks!

WRP / 2012-02-23 19:40:58   

A scrollable lower dock region (for large photo collections) and captions have been requested multiple times. These would both be great additions. Unfortunately, I've been tied up with work as of late and have not had time to further develop Dock.

The codebase is on GitHub. In the meantime, I strongly encourage anyone with programming abilities to fork the project and make these additions. I am happy to merge them back to the main project for all to use.

Thanks!

turnyourback / 2012-02-23 20:28:21   

Thanks! I wish I could do anything with that...hopefully someone will! Thank you for creating such a beautiful plug in regardless!!

ianazariah / 2012-10-23 21:33:27   

Has anyone made this work with V2.0 I just updated and really wanna get this format working on my new site. If anyone out there has any positive results love to hear them so far i find V 2 a bit confusing

best

Ian Azariah

ianazariah / 2012-10-24 19:17:52   

The website im working on is ianazariah.com and I really wanna use this plugin! hope someone can let me know if they have it working on V 2.0 Yet!

Vaska A / 2012-10-24 20:14:51   

No, it's not available for 2. It's not something that we created in the first place. You could ask the guy who created it to update it.

This thread has been closed, thank you.