Fullscreen video background

nilssanders / 2012-06-04 10:23:59   

does anybody have an idea how I can implement nice scalable fullscreen video? including vimeo would be nice but I don't know how to avoid the black bars cause of aspect ratio. I tried css, js, what ever... maybe html5 video is an idea? Is there a plugin available?

here's the link to my construction site: stuckinparacuru.com/

Thanks!!!

Vaska A / 2012-06-04 10:47:36   

There isn't a plugin or format for this right now - maybe in the future.

It is complicated...

nilssanders / 2012-06-04 11:01:12   

shame.

there are many wordpress themes with fullscreen video and slideshow out. perhaps I'm able to find out how to translate it to indexhibit.

by the way – vimeo seems to be not a good idea. the navigation don't work anymore while a video is playing. I will concentrate on html5 video now.

any help is welcome! ;-)

nilssanders / 2012-06-04 16:23:31   

working with jwplayer and js as plugin brings me on my way – wish I'm better in coding... ;-)

lemathieu A / 2012-06-04 16:55:32   

Don't forget to show us ! Thanks

trysh / 2012-06-04 19:21:17   

@nilssanders i see you've on the way of working it out, looks good!
The menu didnt work on the ipad, it just looped the video, but in chrome it looks great!

thecolorstrip / 2012-06-04 23:13:22   

Looks nice @nilssanders – how did you give this an exhibit class so the video wouldn't repeat in every subpage?

i am actually trying to get jquery working for random videos... no luck yet.

btw: with qt index swapper from renaun you get very fast starting times...

nilssanders / 2012-06-05 12:32:34   

@trysh yes, right. I think for the iPad I have to think about a fallback. not nice.

nilssanders / 2012-06-05 12:38:06   

here's what I've done so far – work in progress...

it's a plugin (plugin.jwplayer.php) in ndxzsite/plugin

1. <?php

/**
* jwplayer plugin
* @version 1.0
* @author Nils
*/

function jwplayer($filename)
{    
    $out = ($wrap == 'inline') ? : "                                            n";

$out .= "    n";

$out .= "                                                        n";    
    $out .= "$(document).ready(function($) {                                                        n";
    $out .= "    var w_height = $(window).height();                                                    n";
    $out .= "    var w_width = $(window).width();                                                    n";
    $out .= "    jwplayer('video').setup({                                                             n";
    $out .= "        flashplayer: '" . BASEURL . "/files/videos/player.swf',                            n";
    $out .= "     file: '" . BASEURL . "/files/videos/$filename',                                 n";
    $out .= "     bufferlength: '3',                                                                n";
    $out .= "     autostart: 'true',                                                                n";
    $out .= "        icons: 'false',                                                                    n";
    $out .= "        repeat: 'always',                                                                n";
    $out .= "     controlbar: 'none',                                                                n";
    $out .= "     height: w_height,                                                                n";
    $out .= " width: w_width,                                                                    n";
    $out .= "     stretching: 'fill',                                                                n";
    $out .= "        modes: [                                                                        n";
    $out .= "            {type: 'html5'},                                                            n";
    $out .= "            {type: 'flash', src: '" . BASEURL . "/files/videos/player.swf'},            n";
    $out .= "            {type: 'download'}                                                            n";
    $out .= "        ],                                                                                n";
    $out .= "    });                                                                                    n";

$out .= "    $(window).resize(function(e) {                                                        n";
    $out .= "        var new_w_height = $(window).height();                                            n";
    $out .= "        var new_w_width = $(window).width();                                            n";
    $out .= "        jwplayer('video').resize(new_w_width, new_w_height);                            n";
    $out .= "    });                                                                                    n";
    $out .= "});                                                                                    n";
    $out .= "                                                                                n";

return $out;
}

I call it just with

there have to be a "video" folder with the movie (mp4) within the files folder

that's it so far

nilssanders / 2012-06-05 12:41:35   

I call it just with:

1. <plugin:jwplayer 'name_of_the_video.mp4' />

and the player.swf from jw is also in /files/videos

nilssanders / 2012-06-05 12:43:44   

any help to make more useful, flexible or CMS2isher would be nice ;-)

Vaska A / 2012-06-05 12:48:55   

Nils, Indexhibit has jwplayer built-in.

nilssanders / 2012-06-05 12:55:18   

@Vaska yes, I use the built-in one – or not? is the a plugin already?

Vaska A / 2012-06-05 13:03:24   

It's built-in - you don't need a plugin to use it. Look in /ndxzsite/plugin/plugin.formats.php for the mov() function to see how it's very easy to access - that function is always live around the website - just access that one, it's much easier.

Vaska A / 2012-06-05 13:05:13   

What your plugin doesn't do is adjust people's layout so that it can handle the background movie - this is the real work.

You should study the exhibit formats - all the tools are in there (concat system for css, javascript).

We'll write a tutorial soon about all of these things but for now you could read this tutorial for some insight:

indexhibit.org/tutorials/upgrade/updating-templates-and-exhibit-formats/

nilssanders / 2012-06-05 13:57:59   

as I told you – I'm not a coder ;-) but I'll give my best...

nilssanders / 2012-06-05 14:54:07   

@Vaska

ok I get that most stuff is included. I tried ist with plugin:mov... fine – stuckinparacuru.com/exibitions/test-2-3/

but the idea is to have it browser fullsize in background with the right aspect ratio and no letterboxes.

what do you mean with; "adjust people's layout so that it can handle the background movie"?

is your idea to have an exibition format instead of plugin?

Vaska A / 2012-06-05 15:02:10   

That's how I do it - but I can't release that format because it wouldn't work on anybodys site without very particular structural changes. And, somebody paid for my work on that.

I'd like to make a new one - today I need to get the new upgrade tool finished. I have a bunch of bug things to deal with then...

nilssanders / 2012-06-05 15:07:09   

yes, overlay funktion on iPad ;-)

I'll look around and try a little bit more... thanks

bells / 2012-10-30 16:49:03   

Hi Nils ! I would love to know what happen with your project and if you were able to create what you wanted ? I actually have the same problem with full background video on the main page....

thanks!

This thread has been closed, thank you.