Adding Links to Images

hart / 2012-10-26 02:17:50   

Hello,

I am trying to figure out a way to be able to click on an image and have it link to a web address outside of indexhibit. I am using the horizontal format and have tried to do this for a long time and thought something might have changed in the new version.

Any advice on this would be really great!

Thanks!
Hart

arsondpi / 2012-10-26 07:15:01   

That's a customized horizontal plugin...
Nevertheless you can insert links in the title/caption boxes.
Otherwise you can create a custom plugin or get it to function as you like using simple html (which you can type in the text box of your exhibit if you switch off Proccess HTML)

Vaska A / 2012-10-26 18:18:31   

There's no reason why you can't customize the format so that it takes the url from the title or caption space and wraps the image with it.

It's not a feature that people really want/need - I don't know if I've ever heard anybody request this of the horizontal format. I've had the request for years with Grow/Visual Index though...

ALOT of things have changed with Indexhibit 2.

hart / 2012-10-27 03:39:18   

Thanks for the feedback,

I don't have enough coding experience to edit the horizontal plugin. But I was able to get my website back to how I had it before the switch.

Vaska, I am surprised it has not been requested before. If you navigate to my site on the main page I am using the visual index with images that link to other websites.

I tried the same thing using horizontal format with the same code and it just shows up blank with no content on the page.... no idea why.. doesn't the code override the format being used?

here is the code I am using with the visual index format to make it look like a horizontal format. So it looks the same as all my other exhibit project pages.

it all sounds pretty confusing but it WORKS!

CODE:

Vaska A / 2012-10-27 05:17:34   

Cutting and pasting alot of code here will mess things up - only post the small snips of pertinent code.

I'm happy to hear you got something working. I'm curious about what you are doing...feel free to send me an email with the code, as well. Maybe we'll make an alt version eventually. ;)

cnitsch / 2013-08-10 16:52:28   

I can't see Hart's code.

I'd like to be able to do this with the overlay slideshow?
Is it possible to wrap an image in the overlay slideshow with a link that i put in the captions or will this break the slideshow?
would i edit plugin.jxs_ndxzbox.php ?

I've done searches in google, but I'm not quite finding what i'm looking for.
I'm probably wording my search query wrong.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Ian

arsondpi / 2013-08-10 19:03:53   

well you can give it a shot - yes you can customize plugin.jxs_ndxzbox.php and take things from there...

cnitsch / 2013-08-10 23:33:10   

Well...I was hoping for a little guidance.
but I guess i'll just jump in.

Ian

arsondpi / 2013-08-11 07:01:27   

ok - $this->rs['media_title'] is the media title and $this->rs['media_caption'] is the media caption
Lets say that the title of your media is going to be the url that you want to enter.
You need to track

1. $file = DIRNAME . '/files/gimgs/' . $this->rs['id'] . '_' . $this->rs['media_file'];

and maybe wrap it in an link html tag, for which the href is going to be $this->rs['media_title'] so when you click on it it will redirect you to the url of your title.
But then you will also need to think of the previous/next buttons. Will they still function? ...or how are you going to make them work so they don't get confusing for the visitors (having a previous/linked image/next links)?
I don't know if this will work as I describe, nevertheless I hope this post gives you a headstart.

cnitsch / 2013-08-13 16:00:36   

thanks pindaros!
I'm trying to teach myself as I go along and this helps.
I do want the previous and next buttons to work and am trying to figure out how not to break them.

This is slightly out of my understanding, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks for the guidance!

Ian

This thread has been closed, thank you.