Admin Panel works but Webpage is BLANK

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 02:23:05   

I have read previous posts on this topic. Here is my situation: I just installed Indexhibit to help redesign over a pre-existing site. I successfully installed and made it to the Admin Panel, where I began building exhibits and sections. However, when I navigate to my website, it shows me a blank page. Based on previous posts, I tried re-installing the ndxzstudio folder and the index.php root file, but nothing changed. Website is lahibjaddo.com

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 02:46:42   

It could be a few things. When I go here...

lahibjaddo.com/…

I get something different than a blank page - what do you get?

Is the root index.php file missing? Does it have permissions of 644?

Don't reinstall...we can resolve this...

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 03:10:31   

I click on that link and still only see a blank page.
The root index.php file is there and the permissions are 644.

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 03:12:27   

Why do I see something different? That's really weird...

Have you created exhibits and published them already?
Can you preview them in the studioi?

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 03:23:05   

I tried it in Safari and Firefox...both are blank.
I created 4 exhibits and published them. They have very basic text and no images. When I try to preview in studio, I am taken to a totally blank page with the yellow navigation box in the top right that says: Edit, Refine, Refresh. But there is nothing on the page.

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 03:42:09   

This was a new install, right? If so, and if you haven not yet made any customization to your template, reupload the 'ndxzsite' folder. I think FTP must have missed an important file (it happens often).

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 03:58:59   

Woops, but don't change the /ndxzsite/config/ folder - it has your database connection - you should not touch that one.

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 04:13:37   

1. This is the first install of indexhibit for this website. I have installed an older version using my laptop once before, but for a completely different website that I built under a different domain and using a different web hosting service. So those same folders are not in the folders for this domain.

2. I successfully reuploaded 'ndxzsite' folder, and when I navigate to my site, I now get a message that says "database is not installed."

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 05:44:14   

Oh no. I didn't see your second "Woops" post until just now. Is there a way to fix the problem I just created?

arsondpi / 2013-05-22 06:10:40   

find and open with a code editor the config.php file in your server.
You now have to update the database connection info that you used in the installation.

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 16:16:17   

Thank you Vaska and arsondpi. My hosting service took a look into this and saw that I did not have a config.php file setup that it was looking for. They took the config.example.php file that was setup on the server as a guideline and set up a config.php based on the server settings I created, which are as follows:

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 16:18:41   

(continued from above)

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 16:22:26   

Sorry guys. The forum is cutting off my posts whenever I try to paste in the code. I'll try once more. My server settings are: db='lahibjaddo_com_-_db', user='ljaddo', password='********', host=localhost, sql='mysql'. Can you confirm that the configuration file is setup correctly or that no other files are missing?

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 16:30:18   

localhost should be in quotes too. If that info is the same as your db connection info than it should be good.

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 16:48:13   

Sorry, localhost did have quotes and still didn't work. After updating this config.php file, I'm now unable to log-in to the admin panel. I get "login err" and have used up all my login attempts. Should I just start from scratch by deleting all the files and installing all over again?

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 16:50:03   

Is that the same db info that you used to install your Indexhibit?
You have renamed the file to config.php?

All of this probably because one little file was missed by FTP at upload...this is a big headache...it's really not normal...

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 16:57:15   

To clarify, my web hosting service tried to help to make sure it wasn't a problem on their end and discovered that there was not even a file called config.php in the 'config' folder, and indexhibit was looking for this file. So they created one based on the guidelines explained in the 'config.example.php' file and using the db info which I also used to install Indexhibit.

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 17:14:47   

What does that mean?

If you are installing Indexhibit yourself you also have this information.

Delete everything, reupload, use a different database and all should be good. This has turned into a bit of a mess...

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 17:16:45   

I just took a look at the original indexhibit files I downloaded and can confirm there was no 'config.php' file in the 'ndxz site/config' folder. Since I can't log-in and my email is not being recognized in order to retrieve my password, is there a way for the site admin to fully delete my account so I can try this all from scratch again? Unless there is a better way. I apologize for the headache.

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 17:34:42   

There isn't supposed to be - it's created WHEN you install. You don't make that manually...unless the database is already setup...a proper installation has been completed.

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 17:41:20   

Ah, got it. Will keep you posted on how the reinstall goes, and hopefully close this thread soon. ;)

ljaddo / 2013-05-22 21:59:59   

Ok. I deleted all the previously uploaded indexhibit files and folders, then my web hosting support person created a new database under the same name (lahibjaddo_com_-_db). Then, I followed all the steps again: I reuploaded the indexhibit files, successfully installed indexhibit and made it back to the admin panel. BUT, the same issue occurred again...when I navigate to my website (lahibjaddo.com), all I see is a blank page. No text, no menus, nothing. Am I missing something here?

Vaska A / 2013-05-22 22:21:39   

Let me take a look tomorrow - send me your ftp, hosting and indexhibit login and i'll resolve this. I'm afraid that it could be a database collation issue which is a rare thing that is difficult to resolve programmatically.

contact at indexhibit dot org

ljaddo / 2013-05-23 13:38:45   

Sent it along. Thanks!

ljaddo / 2013-05-24 16:30:48   

Any luck in finding the root of the problem? Please let me know if there's something I can or should do.

Vaska A / 2013-05-24 18:09:56   

I'll take a look shortly... ;)

Vaska A / 2013-05-24 20:06:58   

As a followup on this - the server this is hosted on has a PHP build that is 8 years old. It's out-of-date - needs an update - as it is missing some basic functions. The host should be more than happy, especially with a server that old, to update things.

ljaddo / 2013-05-25 18:52:51   

Victory! Moved to a more current server and setup a new database on it. We're up and running and building out the site. :)

Vaska A / 2013-05-25 18:55:38   

Are you able to upload images?

Happy to hear this is moving forward. I've also updated the PHP requirement on that page. ;)

ljaddo / 2013-05-26 18:22:27   

Yes, after increasing our allowable image max size, uploading content was easy. Thanks.

This thread has been closed, thank you.