small (re-)customisation issue

LauraElina / 2018-07-31 15:11:53   

Hi everyone,

I've just finally updated my website to the latest version, and everything seems to be fine except for one last detail: I don't manage to get the homepage slideshow going. There should be 14 images rotating automatically, but only the first one displays, fixed (the images change when I click on them though).

The caption font is also wrong (should be Orator STD, the one that I'm using almost everywhere else on the site).

I've cleared the cache on Firefox several times and while it helped earlier with some modifications, it doesn't change anything now.

Also, for the future: I now did all the (re-)customization manually, comparing the new style.css and slideshow.css to the back-up files and modifying everything piece by piece – I'm no programming wizard (FAR from it) so I was just wondering if this is the only way to do it or would there have been and easier method?

My website is lauralarmo.com

Thanks in advance!
Laura

Vaska A / 2018-07-31 16:46:26   

Shift + browser refresh (clear the cache)?

Slideshow works for me.
I see Orator in the index.

;)

LauraElina / 2018-07-31 17:13:57   

Thanks Vaska but perhaps I didn't manage to explain this: When you go to lauralarmo.com, do you see just one photo on the homepage, or do the images start to change immediately?

And yes, the index has Orator as it should, but the caption under the photo on the homepage is Arial and I don't understand where I change it.
(All the galleries are fine; they have Orator as I want them to.)

Vaska A / 2018-07-31 18:26:14   

Well, the images change when I click on them - that's how slideshow works.

A quick dev tip: place your mouse over the thing you want to inspect and click Ctrl + mouseclick. You will get a menu (Chrome and Firefox and I think Safari) that will give you an option to "inspect". A panel will open to the selected thing and there you can find see the CSS info.

In your case you would look for the .captioning class which is located in /ndxzsite/css/slideshow.css (on line 29). Change the typeface there accordingly. Voila!

;)

LauraElina / 2018-08-01 09:37:35   

But... in the previous version they changed by themselves, every few seconds. (But now, for the life of me I can't remember how I managed to get that setting.)

The slideshow.css is identical with the back-upped one and is currently like this:

#img-container { position: relative; }
.picture { line-height: 0; }
#exhibit #slideshow { margin-bottom: 0; }
#exhibit .captioning { margin: 0.5em 0 1em 0; padding: 0; line-height: 1.2em; }
#exhibit .captioning .caption p { margin-bottom: 0; }
#exhibit #slideshow .captioning .title { margin-bottom: 0; font-size: 10px; font-family: OratorSTD; }
#exhibit #slideshow .captioning .caption { font-size: 10px; font-family: OratorSTD; }

But that rule seems to only apply to the galleries that can be accessed in the Index; on the Homepage the caption is still in Arial. And I've been clearing the cache but to no avail...

Also, when I go to ndxzstudio --> (Home) Edit --> and then click on the tools icon of the first photo of the series of images I want to display on Homepage, I have 'Milan from a rooftop' as a caption, but then when I preview the page, the caption has a colon (:) at the end of it.

Thanks also for the quick dev tip! When I right-click the mouse I get a Menu with the Inspect Element option and you know what? when I choose that, in the panel that opens up the colon is there at the end of the caption, even though it still is not there when I'm in ndxzstudio.

What am I doing wrong here...?

LauraElina / 2018-08-06 09:46:53   

Hi Vaska,

Have you had any chance to look further into this...? I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong as I believe I've changed the typeface in every possible occasion – it's correct everywhere else but on the Homepage.

Many thanks in advance!
Laura

LauraElina / 2018-08-14 07:38:07   

Ok now I got it – I understood now that I needed to add the typeface name at .captioning even though there wasn't any font name there before (I understood "Change the typeface there" so that in the css file there would've been a font name I should then replace...).

However, I still haven't managed to resolve the autoplay question – could it be that previously I had installed a new plugin for that? If so, is that still possible or has the basic structure been changed somehow? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Laura

Vaska A / 2018-08-14 13:00:53   

Autoplay wasn't something I created - it's a customization issue.

Of course, it's possible but you'll need to know some javascript to make it happen.

LauraElina / 2018-08-14 17:45:34   

Ah ok thanks! I have no idea how I managed to do it last time... I did it by myself though. This is my problem: I manage to do some of these things but then later I don't remember what I did and how I did it!

Oh well, perhaps I'll figure it out also this time...

Thanks again!

Vaska A / 2018-08-14 18:23:39   

Just utilize the javascript you had before - that's the place to begin.

LauraElina / 2018-08-16 09:14:01   

Thanks I'll try to figure it out!

This thread has been closed, thank you.