re-ordering of visual index (non chronologically)

czvekrigby / 2019-03-19 20:47:53   

Hi!

First of thanks for the great tool provided!
While working to setup this: czvekrigby.com/test/ , I have been searching in forums + asked google, but can't seem to find an answer to my question...
I cannot find out how to change the order of the thumbnails in the visual index under the "projects" section...
I can drag the order of subsections within the admin>sections area, but this doesn't seem to affect the order of thumbnails, which I suspect simply to be ordered following their creation date (oldest at top left, newest bottom right). I've tried hard refresh and on different browsers without success.
I've seen on different forums threads that this could have to do with setting up the Section Organization to "sectional" rather than "chronological", but don't get these options. Instead I can choose between "default", "chronological" or "tags", but switching between these doesn't seem to make a change...

Also, I don't know if this might be related, but within the section tab of the admin folder, I am able to modify and update the title of the subsections (it appears updated in the tab of my web browser), but I can't seem to be able to change the folder names, which are stuck to the original names chosen at creation of the subsection.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Vaska A / 2019-03-19 21:19:30   

The Projects page appears to be a section page.

czvekrigby.com/test/index.php/projects/

You can re-order the projects in the main 'index' view by drag/drop on the names of the exhibits.

Look in Exhibit Options (when you are editing the Projects page) and you will see that you can change the Media Source. I'm pretty sure right now it is 'section'. Changing section organization won't have any affect on what Visual Index does (that setting is intended only for the index output).

The thing you are having with renaming sections - this is how it is supposed to work. You can change the page title but it does not automatically change the section 'folder' name. Same goes for publishing exhibits - once published, you can change the name of the exhibit, but it will not auto-change the url (you need to unpublish and then republish). This way you can get a url exactly as you want.

czvekrigby / 2019-03-20 07:11:14   

Hi Vaska,

Thanks a lot for your swift reply.

"You can re-order the projects in the main 'index' view by drag/drop on the names of the exhibits."
> Do you mean here: czvekrigby.com/test/ndxzstudio/
I can indeed drag and drop subsections there, but if I understand you correctly, that will only affect the order in the written index of the page (in which we don't want/need to show the titles of the subsections in our case).

"Look in Exhibit Options (when you are editing the Projects page) and you will see that you can change the Media Source."
> Indeed, the media source there was set to "section". If I change it to "exhibit", the visual index disappears as it is not looking for the thumbnails of the subsections anymore and I don't have any exhibits directly under the "projects" section.

Am I doing something "structurally" wrong (working with a visual index based on subsections) in order to have the flexibility in the order of thumbnails?

Vaska A / 2019-03-20 13:40:07   

I believe a subsection is an exhibit. Subsections are something you make in the Admin > Sections area.

You can drag/drop exhibits ordering in /ndxzstudio/.

Just play with it...things work...I don't understand at all what you are doing right or wrong.

This thread has been closed, thank you.