Host upgraded MySQL server OS, now two sites have same issue

MichaelNMeyer / 2019-05-31 23:10:03   

My webhost updated its MySQL servers' OS to Ubuntu Bionic and two of my sites both started having the same issue.

The sites have exhibits that are hidden from the index and appear as thumbnails on the section page. The thumbnails for these exhibits no longer show up. Text on the section page shows up properly.

URL is michaelmeyerphoto.com.

If I unhide the exhibits from the Index they appear as expected in the left nav menu. (Or top menu, as on spectaclebox.net, which I tweaked for the moment since I need this to be accessible.)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Vaska A / 2019-06-01 00:11:32   

Hmmm...I'm not sure how a server update of any kind could cause this. It's just a number coming out of the database for the 'media_source'.

Try changing the section media_source to 'exhibit' and upload an image - does it show on the site? Then, change it back to 'section' - does it work?

Have you customized things around your site? Like the format, perhaps?

Vaska A / 2019-06-01 02:01:33   

I guess this is a bug. MySQL strict mode is causing this issue. Send me an email and I will send you a file - we'll see if it resolves the issue for you (it works on my test server).

support [at] indexhibit [dot] org

cnitsch / 2019-06-04 19:48:57   

Hi Vaska,
My host (dreamhost) also updated MySQL servers to Ubuntu Bionic, but my site is down completely.
It shows a 500 Internal Server error.

my website is
carolinanitsch.com

Vaska A / 2019-06-04 20:08:28   

Not the same problem. Something else is wrong with your site. I don't know...maybe your db connection has been changed.

cnitsch / 2019-06-04 20:24:17   

Thanks! I just messaged dreamhost. It's a known issue affecting other customers and they are actively working on it.

MichaelNMeyer / 2019-06-05 03:10:59   

Thanks, Vaska. I'll e-mail directly for the file.

As a quick update to my original query in case it helps others: I took a closer look at my site. As I’ve re-organized the site over time many of the Exhibits have moved between Sections, and many of the Sections have been renamed. Several Exhibits have direct links that refer to Sections that no longer exist. When you say MySQL “strict mode” is causing the issue, could this sloppiness be the root cause?

I haven't had time to re-create new Exhibits to see if doing so will fix the issue.

For the moment, hopefully the proffered file will solve the problem!

Thanks in advance.

This thread has been closed, thank you.