Supersize Jquery

sfbuckaroo / 2009-03-15 18:54:35   

First of all, I am a complete noobe and barely know what I'm doing. I came across a jquery plugin that I would like to integrate into indexhibit. It's called supersize and it makes a slideshow at full-screen size, as shown here: http://buildinternet.com/live/supersized/

I downloaded the zip file and did some research on these forums about my next steps-- all I could figure out was to put the js file for the plugin in the js folder. There's another file with a "ds_store" extension that I don't know what to do with, and an index php file-- and of course I need to code the exhibit itself to work with all this.

Thanks, and sorry for asking such rudimentary questions. I've looked around for answers but had no luck-- it there's an important tutorial or post I missed, directions there greatly appreciated!

The supersize plugin, graphically speaking, seems perfect for indexhibit-- please check out the link, even if you don't have time to help out here. I think you will like it!

Regards,

DB

Vaska A / 2009-03-16 20:41:02   

Looks like a decent plugin...the best way to create a new format is to take one that exists and work with it. In this case, I would start with the backgrounded plugin, edit it up, see how far you can take it...post back here with when you get stuck.

arsondpi / 2009-03-16 22:18:12   

I'm trying to hack this with poor results - it became an over+over plugin with strechable images. :-D
I think I should go back and learn more about php or hire somebody to teach me how to do things.

Vaska A / 2009-03-16 22:22:01   

Show us Arson.

arsondpi / 2009-03-16 22:29:33   

This is embarassing and will be deleted... I hope no one is looking around.

edit - one needs to add the supersized js to the js folder...
Couldn't add the div id="supersize" via dynamic js...
I was after having a backgrounded plugin with strechable backgrounds that kept their ratio.
Discussion started initially in this thread.

Vaska A / 2009-03-16 23:26:33   

I'll take a look when I get a chance...cool.

michaelj / 2009-05-19 12:04:52   

I am also struggling with that.
here is how you'd have to do it on a static site:
http://buildinternet.com/2009/02/supersized-full-screen-backgroundslideshow-jquery-plugin/

now how to built this into indexhibit...
I tried doing it like in the description above:
1. css code into the general sample css.
2. jquery link in the index.php in sample
3. jquery file in the js directory
4. function in the index.php head
5. when i know put the html text into a created indexhibit page, it works,
BUT obviously just in the content div.

can you give me a hint, how to do it properly?
with the backgrounded plugin? i just don't know what to erase and what to add, and where...?

Thank you very much.

arsondpi / 2009-05-19 15:26:51   

...let's build a plugin and learn php at the same time while creating it!
I was just fooling around without really knowing what I was doing right or wrong...

michaelj / 2009-05-19 15:43:55   

hey!
I think we are at the very same point at the moment!!
I was just thinking today about seriously learning PHP, damn!
Let me know about your progress in building that plugin.
Maybe Mr Vaska can get us some hint where to start to efficiently do that!

Vaska A / 2009-05-19 16:27:06   

Woops...didn't really read the thread...I'll post it elsewhere.

Vaska A / 2009-05-19 16:28:53   

Zup.

LeslieOA / 2009-05-19 19:06:00   

Saw this thread and just couldn't pass up on knocking up a workable version.

Works with the default themes (Eatock and Sample) and only needs a little bit of work for production usage.

Full instructions within the this downloads Readme.txt.
Enjoy! ;-)

Supersized Exhibition Format
(Original jQuery plugin: - http://www.buildinternet.com/project/supersized/)

Vaska A / 2009-05-19 19:11:02   

Nice one Leslie.

;)

lemathieu A / 2009-05-19 20:34:39   

well done!

Vaska A / 2009-05-19 20:41:51   

But...for me...doesn't work in Safari and with FF some of the images didn't scale right at all. So...it's a work in progress. Also, I added text to the page but could no see.

It's a start...we'll finish this one soon because it's something people will want.

So, use at your own risk...expect that it simply might not be usable yet.

Zups.

;)

arsondpi / 2009-05-22 06:58:55   

thanks Leslie...!

I does break in my browsers as well...
I wanted to be the firt who tried this... d@mn... :D
Nevertheless it would be nice if the backgrounded plugin transformed into something like this (with thumbnails etc)

ckg / 2009-06-13 21:01:43   

http://www.be-plus.co.uk/test/

I know there are problems with this but I’ve installed the plug-in and uploaded a few images to test but they don’t seem to be loading in and I just get the wheel of death. I know it’s not supported, but does anybody have any ideas why it’s doing this?

Thanks

ckg / 2009-07-23 09:22:07   

Check this out!

http://www.tylerstefanich.com/

Somebody actually seems to have made an exhibition format using supersize that works! Full screen, random background images. Brilliant!

But how did they do it? Any ideas?

sylvainman / 2009-07-23 14:18:14   

@ckg that's not a full screen slideshow but a fullbrowser background.
Everything is explained here.

ckg / 2009-07-23 16:07:29   

Hi sylvainman

Yeah - What I meant was if you refresh it a couple of times it loads in a random background image. I’ve been trying to find a way of doing it for ages but this is the first time I’ve seen it done.

Do you think they’ve built an exhibition format or are they just loading in the jquery in the background?

Thanks

ckg

sylvainman / 2009-07-25 05:50:36   

@ckg you should ask them directly !

centro / 2010-03-20 13:58:50   

Hello

I have tried to create a portfolio site which uses the Supersize plug-in.
There are a couple things I need to know. I am no coder and have 'hacked' my way through this (usual story – Print designer who needs a site, and fancies his chances at doing it himself!).

I have somehow (accidentally) removed the 'progress' wheel function. I would like this to appear when a section loads as the images are large and can take a while to load. The progress wheel will let the viewer know something is happening – less likely they will give up!

Also, is there a way that the area which contains the text and logo can 'load' first time? It seems to load again when clicking on a new section. What happens is, there is a blank space appearing when the section loads. Fixing this would make the site feel smoother.

I notice that in Safari on the iphone that the icons overlap the bottom of the text box area - how can I fix this?

Any feedback about my site is welcome. I think it works in most browsers?

My link back to Indexhibit is the 'I+E' icon — hope this is acceptable!

Cheers
Dean

my site is http://centrodesign.co.uk/

centro / 2010-03-23 21:30:32   

- Bump

Anyone able to help with the above ?

arsondpi / 2010-03-23 21:39:22   

I'm working on a similar plugin - it can get quite complex in structure to be honest..

lpng / 2010-08-05 18:46:01   

Well first of all, the jquery.supersized.2.0.js contains mistakes.
Indeed, all the gifs it refers to are supposedly to be found in a /images/ folder when one is asked to put these gifs in the ~/ndxz-studio/site/img folder. Fixing that (the hard way, that is, changing 18 links to hard links) made it possible to actually see the navigation overlay…

I'm now trying to make something out of the whole thing

lemathieu A / 2010-08-06 09:11:04   

Excellent…
I was trying to get result as well, and notice the same problems.
But as Leslie said, it was a really quick plugin-for-dev…
Give your feedback on the way.

orionrush / 2010-08-06 13:52:42   

looks like centro jumped ship and went with a WP template in the end. What a template though. I wonder how hard that would be shift to indexhibit

would need a working visual index plugin among other things.

lpng / 2010-08-06 19:43:35   

It's a 75$ worth template...
(check the source, references to the author are there)

lpng / 2010-08-06 19:46:21   

Ok Ok, 69, not 75…

http://emilolsson.com/apps/dynamix/#page_22

christina / 2011-12-22 05:10:59   

I tried all day, sorry in case I missed something:

! Remeber to update path locations/filenames if relocating or combining resources

Where do I do that? In the exhibit.supersized.php?

I have uploaded the plugin and the 3 jquery, the folder with images under indexhibitv070e/files and tried to link the folder it in the php file, but no success. I have also changed file permissions.

My site is here Webpage

christina / 2011-12-22 05:11:54   

! Remeber to update path locations/filenames if relocating or combining resources

I have uploaded the plugin and the 3 jquery, the folder with images under indexhibitv070e/files and tried to link the folder it in the php file, but no success. I have also changed file permissions.

My site is here Webpage

christina / 2011-12-22 05:13:08   

christina / 2011-12-22 22:33:18   

christina / 2011-12-22 22:34:16   

Here is my site: Webpage

christina / 2011-12-22 23:03:33   

Here is my site: Webpage

christina / 2011-12-23 01:20:00   

Oh lala! My connection here is aaaas bad as this. Plenty apologies, I only got error messages while trying to post to the forum and sent this again and again. So sorry! Same happens with trying to open threads and download plugins, open Demo pages... so maybe my question is also due to this primal problem of a bad internet connection. I would so much appreciate help with this!!!

pernin / 2011-12-23 03:12:25   

The forum server can do that if there's a bad connection. Just refresh the forum main page and you'll see your post come in

I don't understand what you mean:

there's one supersized.3.1.3.min.js file to put into ndxz-studio/site/js/

then one exhibit.supersized.php that goes into ndxz-studio/site/plugin/

and then a bunch of navigation png and gif files that go into ndxz-studio/site/img/

nothing else is required: 3 jquery? folder with images into files folder?

the updating paths warning is in case you have a special setup where you put your navigation png's and gif's somewhere else than at site/img/ But there's no reason for you to do that if you don't have a non-standard site

pernin / 2011-12-23 03:20:17   

Ahh!! OK, I get it: you are using the supersized in this thread, which is an old version probably no longer supported

Steffen cobbled together a new one which works and is the one I'm referring too. Much simpler too:

http://www.indexhibit.org/forum/thread/13176/

Have fun :)

mgushanasjr / 2012-01-27 13:02:45   

figured it out... jquery has to be in header :)

mgushanasjr / 2012-01-27 13:08:02   

having issues... won't work in IE and the images are being places over my page. tried a z index in the style to no avail.

mgushanasjr / 2012-01-27 13:18:01   

here

mgushanasjr / 2012-01-27 14:32:04   

also... i'd like to have 3 different versions of this going... one as a slideshow without a nav bar, one slide show with a nav bar, and one selection of a random image... i tried just duping and renaming the exhibit file but that doesn't work. Any clues on what I need to sub-in/out would be helpful.

pernin / 2012-01-27 14:51:07   

@mgushanasjr, you're spamming the forum by cross-posting, you don't have a link-back to indexhibit: have you read the forum rules? please, do so

mgushanasjr / 2012-01-27 16:00:21   

@pernin I apologize for cross posting. I found a more relevant topic after doing more research toward solving the problem. As for the link, it is included, just not formatted in the most obvious way currently.

luxxi / 2012-05-17 12:42:37   

Stop triple posting (in multiple threads) - please read the forum rules before you post again.

Edited by Vaska

This thread has been closed, thank you.