Centered Theme

newgalena / 2010-01-06 01:07:42   

hi, happy 2010, and only 10 more years before we'll all have perfect vision (2020)!

i'm trying to resolve some ie bugs. i've used the conditionals arsondpi linked to here - conditionals

i'm using netrenderer to see what it looks like in ie6,7,8. i think everything is fine, except for in ie8, my menu is way out of whack? any thoughts, suggestions as to why? i'm having a tough time with this one.

here's the site - link

thanks so much

newgalena / 2010-01-06 16:00:39   

i ended finding a solution to my problem with ie8 by using a meta tag on the index.php -

it basically tells ie8 to behave like ie7

newgalena / 2010-01-06 16:06:40   

oops, let me try writing this code again...

1. < meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE7" /> 

cmurph / 2010-01-08 01:59:13   

Happy new year guys,
I am still having some problems with the expanding menu in Safari.
Basically the same thing that happens for me on the Demo centered theme example.
When you click a section it opens but the whole section tabs over to the left further than is needed and then back.... hope that makes sense.

Does anyone else have this problem... no issues in firefox.

Cheers

cmurph / 2010-01-08 02:42:57   

I have just had a good read through this post and it seems it is an initial problem that Tali and Arsondpi have talked about. For me this problem just seems to have appeared (was not an issue at first) but I cant figure out what I have done to make it change...

I have looked at the margins and padding but have so far had no luck.

Thanks guys.

cmurph / 2010-01-08 03:16:32   

Sorry about the multiple posts, I am just posting as I make progress.

I have worked out that it is only a problem if Jquery is updated to 1.3.2
which I have just done to use the djuve plugin.

Not really sure where to go from here...

thanks

lemathieu A / 2010-01-08 08:01:31   

Me neither, sorry…
Jquery is not that easy for me.

cmurph / 2010-01-09 01:06:16   

No worries lemathieu thanks.
I have found that using the drop on hover script found here
Eliminates the problem but is still an issue if you click after hovering.
Is there an easy way to eliminate the click or toggle entirely?

Thanks

AnnaBam / 2010-01-17 21:53:52   

Thank you so much for this new theme. Look great! I am probably the one with the least knowledge of CSS, js, php, html etc here. But I want to say that you guys really make things easy for users like me. My web site is still in progress while I am also still learning about CSS and stuffs. Hope I can show you the result soon. Thank you again.

koen / 2010-01-18 18:06:31   

The zip files are empty when I unpack them. Anyone else having this issue?

MitzenmacherDesign / 2010-01-20 00:03:55   

Lemathieu...this theme template is amazing. Great work on everything and making everything very easy to understand.

I did have a quick question for if anyone knows out there....does anyone know how to get this to work with the iframed plugin?
I have my blog iframed on there from tumblr, and now you can't see it at all.
Is there any way to fix this??

http://mitzenmacherdesign.com/index.php?/news/blog/

lemathieu A / 2010-01-20 08:12:24   

I never use iframe… I should try.
Sorry.

But in the code I see :

1. < iframe id="tumblr_controls" width="324" scrolling="no" height="25" frameborder="0" style="border: 0px none ; overflow: hidden; position: absolute; z-index: 1337; top: 0px; right: 0px; background-color: transparent;" allowtransparency="true" border="0" src="http://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/iframe?src=http%3A%2F%2Fmitzenmacherdesign.tumblr.com%2F">

So… 324 x 25 = that's it, no ?

arsondpi / 2010-01-20 08:17:49   

I did this quick and dirty solution for a friend but it seems that it's more complex than it looks - got double scrollbars etc. Obviously needs some heavy javascript to do this.

I'd suggest to call your tumblr blog via its API - someone else did this successfully and it looked great. An example lies somewhere in the forum - I believe it was in the Critique section....

arsondpi / 2010-01-20 08:24:17   

...maybe ask Ekene? As you can see he did some heavy customising but it looks beeooteefool.

kokoyska / 2010-01-22 13:27:40   

Hi,

I would like to thanks everyone, Lemathieu for his central theme, all the exhibit crew for their explanations, and all the others for the interesting questions.
I didn't know anything about CSS before, and now, I think I know the bases.

Here my first website : www.guillaumecotrel.com

My only worry is that the website is really bad under internet explorer... But there always a solution!

Thanks again, I love indexhibit!!

lemathieu A / 2010-01-22 13:46:54   

great.
you should not use slideshow to the curriculum-vitae page.
use over and over.

kokoyska / 2010-01-22 13:59:10   

You're right!

thanks

puppiepoppy / 2010-02-01 16:07:39   

Hi all,

Here's a Website that I built for a friend, which uses the wonderful Centered Theme. Please check it out...appreciate any suggestions/ comments about the technical aspect of it.

Hope you guys enjoyed it.

C,
Mike

niels1978 / 2010-02-01 17:36:24   

Hi Lemathieu/Forum, big thanx for your wonderfull template!. I will post my site here soon. But there is still one thing i can't solve. The slider pro format doensn't work in IE8. It reports "& larr& rarr". Are the arrowsymbols not recognized by IE?. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thx from Holland, Niels

puppiepoppy / 2010-02-02 17:14:02   

Problem with my Slideshow 'next/prev' button

In the mid of a gallery, the 'prev/next' buttons became inactive when a Menu is toggled.

I'm just good with doing the design, but basically the whole 'centered theme' is raw from the download. ;) Duh! Any I've tried mucking around a bit but no solution. Anyone out there have any clue to fix this?

The site is here.

Thanks a mil.

- Mike

maximilian / 2010-02-17 04:43:42   

Hi Lemathieu + Forum, I am trying to customize the Slider_Float_left plug-in to 'auto-slide' as well as to shuffle the images when it slides. Any advice on how to do it? Anyhow, thanks so much for this great Theme!
Maxi

p.s.: anybody got any luck making the animated menus work well in Safari???

lemathieu A / 2010-02-17 10:54:30   

Mybe you could try with the sliderPro, tryin' to modify it to get the "float left" ?

EightyEight / 2010-02-17 20:38:43   

dear lemathieu,

Few questions.
First time I accidentally uploaded all the files to site\thecentered_theme+exhibits-elements\ and now cannot delete the folders from the remote site (server i guess). I can only delete the files inside the folders.

1. Any tips to remove those unused folders, as they are annoying?

I just downloaded the "all inclusive" file, and I extracted the file like this:
C:\..... ndxz-studio\site\thecentered_theme+exhibits-elements\

and then uploaded (with filezilla) the contents with "in_" into whatever it said after "in_". It seems to be working.

2.How about .svn and .DS_Store? Just leave them there?

So now i have an extra theme called: thecentered_theme+exhibits-elements
3. Can I delete it somehow? I guess its linked with my first question.

Still newbie and a bit "all exclusive" with all these FTP, css etc. -stuff. Thanks for help.

maximilian / 2010-02-20 02:48:59   

lemathieu... I did try to customize the SliderPro to make it float left as well as the SliderFloatLeft to make it auto-slide with no luck what's so ever. Not too familiar with php, so if you have any advice or suggestion about what to change in any of those two plug-ins would be very much appreciated.
M.-

nero2 / 2010-02-20 05:49:21   

Has anyone else been having problems unzipping this theme? Winrar is telling me that every other file has an incorrect syntax or something along those lines.

nero2 / 2010-02-20 05:52:09   

Never mind that previous comment.

maximilian / 2010-02-22 18:19:53   

Lemathieu... I did modify the SliderPro to float left somewhat successfully. Here is a link:
http://www.maxispina.com/home.php

The problem is that every time the page reloads it does something weird: it loads all the images much like an 'over and over' fashion, and then switches to the float left organization. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks, M.-

maximilian / 2010-02-22 19:47:08   

never mind my previous comment; I think i figured it out...

maximilian / 2010-02-22 20:37:05   

Ok... another thing I would like to customize in the sliderPro_floatLeft: I would like to hide the UI elements (thumbs and buttons) as I am doing now (by setting 'thumbsVis: false'). You can see it working here:
http://www.maxispina.com/home.php

However, I would like to display the typographic info of each slide (ALT tag content). It seems that right now, the typographic info and the ThumbsVis are interrelated: typographic info would ONLY show if 'thumbsVis' and 'Typo' are BOTH set to true.

Any ideas on how to solve this??

maximilian / 2010-02-22 20:50:14   

again, never mind my last comment. It's working now!

EightyEight / 2010-03-02 10:46:22   

forget my previous question, but could someone check this problem out: The separator is showing only in the homepage, but not in other pages. I can see the image loading for a while when changing to some other page, but somehow it just disappears... weird.

EightyEight / 2010-03-02 10:48:12   

oops, here's the link

lemathieu A / 2010-03-02 11:28:45   

@ 88 : you delete the link for the separator in the style.css, but you don't give any border-style:solid (or like that) attribute

1. /* SEPARATOR : You can change this image in the index.php of this theme, or simply delete it */
  2. #separator {
  3. z-index : 1001;
  4. top : 0;
  5. margin-bottom : 25px;
  6. background : none;
  7. border : none;
  8. }

but where does that come from ?

1. #separator {
  2. -moz-background-clip:border;
  3. -moz-background-inline-policy:continuous;
  4. -moz-background-origin:padding;
  5. background:transparent none repeat scroll 0 0;
  6. border:medium none;
  7. margin-bottom:25px;
  8. top:0;
  9. z-index:1001;

you wrote it directly in the home text space ?

EightyEight / 2010-03-02 20:10:20   

Q1. I tried to follow these how-to tips,
and edited the picture volume.png, so I not need to change the name anywhere. To let you know, the problem occurred already with the original picture.

It seems that the separator multiplies because in the index.php the height was 14,

so i made the height 2, the same size as the picture is(yes i changed the size of the pic to 800x2)

The tips says:
"You can change this image via the template's index.php at line 60. Just upload (via ftp) another image in the file folder, and change the name of this file at this line.
Or erase this div to never see it anymore…

and you are saying I should delete from the style.css? I tried that but it didnt do anything. just made the contetn jump up a bit touching the separator now. hhmmpph.. So what should I do, hack the index.php or the style.css, or both. Or should i just delete the pic and use borders and border styles and colors?

Right now, I made the border of the separator solid(in style.css), also I put img border to 44px, and now you can see how everything reacts in, it seems like the separator opens only in the homepage, but in other pages its just on the left side as a small box.. have I messed up some margins, or paddings which affect the separator?

Q2. Where is that from, I cant find it? Nope didnt write that anywhere? if its there, its probably something that I copied from some other site, but there should not be nothing much like that.
I have seen -moz-stuff somewhere while trying to learn but dont even know what it is, I dont know much about css or html, only know what leard while playing with indexhibit.
ooops, oh, foudn it with Firebug, in div id=copy and =separator. But cant see it in my style or index files..

thanks for reply lemathieu.

MBK / 2010-03-04 17:37:10   

Hi.

How would I make the entire content section a block colour. I want to use a background but have a 800 px black strip running behind the content from the top of the page to the bottom.

Many thanks.

lemathieu A / 2010-03-05 09:06:27   

@ EightyEight : delete the line the tips says (the div called "separator" at line 60)

In don't understand the Q2…

@ MBK : site ?

EightyEight / 2010-03-06 06:58:21   

lemathieu,

I deleted the bolded line below only:
< div id='separator'>
< img border="44" width="800" height="14" alt="" src="files/volume.png"/>
< /div>

Now the picture doesnt appear, obviously Bcause we deleted it, but you can still see the border, because i made it solid so its easier to visualize what's going on, at least for me cause i dont know mucho about coding.
And what to do next? I tried deleting all of the three lines above and it looked okay, so far. I guess I could make a separator by adding a top-borded for the content, but I really would like to add an picture, and it doesnt seem to work? Should I restart with the original index.php? or can u find a solution?

Q2, u asked me in your first reply where does it come from so i replied :D and said i dont know. The code is the same in other sites which are using this theme, is there something weird in that code?

EightyEight / 2010-03-06 07:08:10   

..continued.. do you think my pre-nav-text i.e. the logo text, might cause the problem, as there is some div's and stuff, that i got from some wysiwyg-editor?

< div style="text-align: left; font-weight: bold; background-color: none; color: rgb(218, 165, 32);">< span style="font-size: 18pt; font-family: Verdana;">< a href="http://www.eightyeighteight.com">Ei8hty
Ei8ht
Ei8ht
< /div>

bpowers / 2010-03-06 21:56:36   

I have i question: how would you add a full page background to this theme? I've been trying to figure it out all day but nothing works. Any suggestions?

site: briansuperpowers.com

bpowers / 2010-03-07 05:38:38   

figured it out

jayem / 2010-03-07 17:34:55   

hi,
first off, many thanks to lemathieu for making such a great theme! i've been working on it for a few days and i've gotten stuck on the formatting on the text in my columns, no matter what i try i can't seem to get proper paragraphs?

1. i have tried (minus the spaces) wrapping them in < p >< /p >adding < p > or < /p > at the end of each paragraph, i've had html formatting switched on and off (currently it is on). i'm really at a loss as to why the text insists on being so tricky.

here is what i'm looking at

hopefully someone can explain where i've gone wrong?

j

EightyEight / 2010-03-09 06:53:48   

I haven't figure out my problem, but I give up. I guess I can live without a separator :D

blameme / 2010-03-09 09:57:44   

Hi, I have the same problem as jayem, can´t get the text column tops to align.

jayem / 2010-03-09 17:07:03   

my post actually belongs in the columner theme thread, anyone feel like moving/deleting it? that oversight was the result of too many hours of code minus any breaks :s

st / 2010-03-10 14:57:24   

Hi there,
I'm trying to work with the centered theme template (thanks, lemathieu!! it's really great.)
I wonder, if I can have also the menu centered. I tried it with

1. #menu ul {
  2. float : center;

but then I get the menu vertically one below the other. Does anyone know, how I can achieve this with my css file?

Second question: how do I get my logo centered?

Sorry, if these are dumb questions, I'm only starting...

Thanks for any help.
st.

site I'm working on

ivo_valadares / 2010-03-11 14:32:45   

Can't give you much help nevertheless, I'm also doing some testing with the centered theme and what I did was try and error until I get what I want

I think is posible for you to have the menu centered having the rest centered, left or right.

lemathieu A / 2010-03-11 16:03:39   

@ st : this link can be usefull.

st / 2010-03-12 15:47:44   

thanks for the link, lemathieu, I have to get into it and try to understand.

1. At least I succeeded to center my logo by adding
  2. align="center"directly in my index.php after
  3. div class="top-section" id='top-section'

Furthermore I gave a width to my #menu ul li.section-title (like lemathieu suggested before in this thread), because I didn't want them to 'jump' when I click on them. It doesn't look good with the varying distances between the section titles though. Is there another way for the expanding menu not to 'jump? And can I have my 'submenu' stay open, after I clicked on one section title?

What I'm really struggling with: the content of my exhibits doesn't start below the menu. For example: if you click on 'unterricht' and then on 'gesang' the text starts beside, but not below my menu. I tried back and forth with my css but didn't get it. Could anyone help?

And to get my menu left-aligned I set
#menu ul {
float : left;
Still it's not left...

I anyone has some time to give a quick glance at my site, I'd very happy.

Thanks.
st.

Road works ahead...

Eikibleiki / 2010-03-18 19:35:09   

I am having trouble with iframe and the centered theme. Could someone help me out?

here is what happens: http://segdusis.is/index.php?/hafa-samband/

Klara / 2010-03-19 09:59:18   

This theme is just what I've been looking for!

I'm experiencing the same problem for these two:
www.klaranilsson.com and www.kristoffernilsson.se

I just started customizing it a little bit but the main-problem is that images in Thickbox never load, I didn't even try to customize that part..

Also for the site www.kristoffernilsson.se I would like the menu to be horizontal (sorry can't spell that).. is that possible?

Thanks again for a great theme!

This thread has been closed, thank you.