Unfortunately, there seems to always be a new wave of hacking happening around the net so I thought I would write a thread about how you can clean up your site.
1. Go to IsItHacked and input your URL.
3. Common files that you can check for hackers on your site:
- .htaccess file
- index.php (check all of them if it persists)
- check templates (.php) files in your theme folder
4. Check Admin > Themes > Pre & Post Nav for malware code inserted (try to scroll to find it)
Always backup your site at key moments - like when you finish installing after loading your first set of works. Restoring your backup in the event of a hack is the quickest way to alleviate the problem (otherwise you need to search for the code manually).
Upgrade your version of Indexhibit to the newest version. Unfortunately, bugs happen. In the past year there have been a couple updates involving security issues - updating is critical. Watch for updates (even better, read the release notes when there are updates).
Keep an eye on your site. Websites are like cars and do need maintenance from time to time.
Hopefully, you haven't been hacked (which make this a good moment to update). It's sadly an annoying inconvenience but a reality on today's internet.